Most utmost die castings are produce from non-ferrous metals such as:
- Zinc Alloy die casting – zinc-based alloys are the easiest to die cast is high and impact strength is excellent, making these alloys suitable for a wide range of products.
- Copper Alloy – copper based alloys are generally known as brass or bronze. They present the most powerfull mechanical properties of any of the normally die cast metals. Brasses have high strength and toughness, good wear resistance, and excellent corrosion resistance.
- Aluminum Alloy – aluminum die casting alloys are lightweight, offer good corrosion resistance, ease of casting, good mechanical properties and dimensional stability.
- Magnesium alloy – magnesium alloys are noted for low weight, high strength to weight ratio, exceptional damping capacity, and ease of machining. Castings temperatures are about the same as aluminum, and both hot chamber and cool chamber machines used to produce castings.
|We get closer dimensional accuracy
|Little bit more Expensive
|Suitable for mass production
|Preparation of die takes lots of labor and time
|Good surface finish
|Only small and medium size castings can be made
|Less space is required as compared to the conventional casting
|Not suitable for small – scale casting
|Operation time is less
|Suitable only for non – ferrous casting such as aluminum
|Faster rate of production
|Semi – skilled workers can also do the job
|Less defects occur
|Smooth surface finish
Aluminum product demand increase
China continues to be the primary driver of growth:
- The people’s republic of china has long since become the world’s largest producer of aluminum, but even demand is growing there faster than anywhere else. China die casting continuous to be the primary driver of growth in the aluminum industry, and e-mobility is a major factor.
- Global demand for primary and recycled aluminum is being fueled by the trend towards lightweight construction in the automotive industry. The consumption of aluminum is growing in the becoming aerospace industry, while the upturn in the construction industry in continental Europe is also stimulating demand. In addition, demand in the mechanical engineering and packaging markets continuous to increase.
- The global alu die casting market size was estimated at USD 47.1 billion in 2018. It is anticipated to witness a CAGR of 9.1% from 2019 to 2025. Upswing in the use of aluminum is automobile manufacturing and heightened demand from the building and construction sector in Asia pacific has boosted the growth of the market.
Summary of Die Casting;
Raw materials ingots
- what are ingots
- how to identify metal ingots
- common materials used in die castings
Different die casting process
- low pressure die casting
- vacuum die casting
- squeeze die casting
- semi-solid die casting
Die casting step by step process
Die casting defects
- short shot
- cold shut
- hot tear
- excessive flash
Aluminum die casting process
- step by step process
- aluminum production and demand
- increase trend in casting